Monday, August 4, 2008

Bunyan would be proud.


Costa Rica's patron saint – a little dark wood statue called La Negrita – lives in Cartago, about 20 km east of San José. Every year, there's a pilgrimage where people walk from all over the country, some from as far as 200 km away, to come to Cartago's formidable basilica.

For my friend and me, it was a lot simpler: we didn't really have anything better to do on a Saturday than walk for a few hours. So we did.

Strangely, there wasn't anything notable, except that despite getting past the discomfort of pulling a rather colonial move and using my umbrella as a parasol to keep off the sun in the four or five hours we were walking, I still managed to sunburn the living daylights out my face, the backs of my calves, my right forearm, and the right side of my neck, making my epidermis look like some unfortunate paint-by-numbers experiment.

Then, I had a miserable allergic reaction to the sunburn the next day.


But my legs were NOT SORE! Thank goodness.


No comments: