Saturday, August 9, 2008

Beers would dribble.

English menu translations are consistently good fodder to the average traveler. But the below, from a restaurant out in Cartago, are quite possibly the best/worst ever. Apparently the Negrita's blessings do not extend to trials in gastronomic elections.

(gallo pinto = typical tico dish of black beans and rice)
(papas a la francesa = french fries)


(izar = to hoist;
babear = to dribble
but we're pretty sure the menu says "cervezas bavaras," or bavarian beers.)

(gaseosas = carbonated beverages)


This is also a week when everything must converge – online in addition to copy editing duties, plus some reporting on the side – so you might not hear much from me. Luckily, there are things like this in the interim. Some of the vids aren't available – and would still easily be available on youtube somewhere, obvio – but YOU MUST AT LEAST CHECK OUT THE HASSELHOFF VIDEO.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Love translation fun!!! My friend Chris and I used to exchange pictures of things we found on the streets of Tokyo / Funabashi. He gave me the hook up with this site http://www.engrish.com/ Maybe you should submit the menu to them!

Miriam said...

Holly,
Thank you thank you thank you. that made my day.
Hope you are well friend.

JP said...

Where was this pic taken? I mean... Where in Costa Rica? I need to go and eat there, to see it with my own eyes, it'd be hilarious!